Monday, November 17, 2008

The Best Week Ever: Part 2 - Nov. 7th

Yes, I know this post comes over a week late. But its my blog, and I can post when I want to...

Yes, Congratulations are due to ME. Hence the unofficial results posted on the internet and the very official letter I received in the mail, I have passed the Maryland State Bar Examination.

After three years of intense reading, six weeks of intense study, and two days of intensity, the reward finally comes in the form of four little numbers posted on a website.

And Congratulations are due to all my fellow bar passers, regardless of the state. So this post is dedicated to us, the Bar Passing Class of 2008.

We have accomplished an amazing feat. However, the past two weeks have shown me that while this moment is amazing, gratifying, and uplifting, it is not the life-altering moment that I expected. And maybe I was naive or just plain stupid to expect such. However, I expected upon my passing of the bar, that I would have a newfound appreciation for the law and for my role in society as an intelligent and productive adult.

What I found instead was that there are factors far more important and urgent affecting my life than my bar status. Yes, passing the bar fundamentally affects the types of jobs I am eligible for in the future. It does not affect the person that I am, the things I cherish, the type of life I want, or the day-to-day chaos that is life. But I did discover things about myself. The people that were first on my list to call to share the good news. The people that have sent emails and left messages of support and congratulations. The example that my accomplishment has set for my niece and nephews. These are the important people in my life. These are the people that shape me, and that my world focuses around.

So passing the bar examination has been amazing in what it has shown me: the people that I cherish and that cherish me most. And it has served as encouragement that I can accomplish great things. And it has been a validation of years of academia.

And then the question becomes.. What next?

1 comment:

Kianne said...

WHAT NEXT????....the first black FEMALE President DUH!!!!!! I love you Heather. Thanks for setting such high standards for my children. They will know they can achieve because of you. And it is because of you their aspirations will seem attainable...possible...believable. You are for my family what OBAMA is for our country and even more so for our race. THANKS!